Alba Flores also known as Alba Gonzalez Flores is a Spanish actress who was born on 27th October 1986. She is best known for her roles as Saray Vargas de Jesus in Vis a Vis (locked up) and Agata “Nairobi” Jimenez in La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). She won Ondas Award for her character in Vis a Vis for “Best Female Performer in Fiction” in 2015. She first participated in the episode of the Series El comisario (The Commisar). Alba Flores was born in Madrid, Spain in 1986.
From an early age it was clear that Alba would be an actress. She never contemplated another career and started studying drama and music at the age of 13. Aware of the enormous importance of preparation, Alba dedicated six years to training before accepting her first role on stage in Honeymoon in Hiroshima followed by the gypsy version of A Midsummer Night’s Dearm.
Alba made her film debut in 2005 in Chus Gutierrez’s El calentito. Spain’s entertainment community sat up and took notice of this outstanding new talent and she was immediately cast in a top rating television series, El comisario. This was quickly followed by El Sindrome de Ulises and the musical production Enamorados anonimos.
The young actress went on to play important roles in two of Spain’s most beloved television series, El tiempo entre costuras and Cuentame como paso. But is was with her breakout performance as Saray Vargas, a Roma gypsy prisoner in Locked up, that Alba became a household name in Spain. When the show’s creator, Alex Pina, produced Casa de papel (Money Heist) he turned to Alba to play Nairobi, one of the series’ leading roles.
Alba is presently shooting the third season of Locked Up and in November returns to the highly anticipated next season of Money Heist.
Alba Flores Early Life:
Alba Flores is the only daughter of musician and composer Antonio Flores and Ana Villa, a theatrical producer. Hers is a family of gitano performers, musicians, and actors: She is the granddaughter of Lola Flores, known as “La Faraona” (“The Pharaoh”), niece of singers Lolita Flores and Rosario Flores, and cousin of actress Elena Furiase. Her paternal grandfather, Antonio González [es] referred to as “El Pescaílla” was also a Spanish singer and guitarist, and is considered to be one of the fathers of Catalan Rumba. He was of Gitano ethnicity.
Alba studied dramatic interpretation from the age of thirteen, with secondary training in piano performance. In her brief career onstage, she performed in a number of roles, most notably in Luna de miel en Hiroshima (Honeymoon in Hiroshima) (2005), and the Romani version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (2007).
Alba Flores Career:
In 2005, Alba made her cinematic debut with Chus Gutiérrez’s, El calentito [es], with Verónica Sánchez, Ruth Díaz, Macarena Gómez, Estíbaliz Gabilondo, and Lluvia Rojo among other performers.
In television, she first participated in an episode of the series the El comisario in 2006. In 2008, she landed a role in the Antenna 3 television series The Ulysses Syndrome [es]. The same year she performed in the musical theater production of Enamorados anónimos (Love Anonymous: The Copla Musical in Broadway) helmed by dance choreographer Blanca Li and music composer Javier Limón.
In 2009, she recorded her father’s song, “No Puedo Enamorarme de Ti (I cannot fall in love with you)”, for the soundtrack of a movie by Roberto Santiago’s [es], Al final del camino [es], starring Malena Alterio and Fernando Tejero as the protagonists.
She trained at the Corazza Acting Studio by the renowned acting coach Juan Carlos Corazza. She’s one of the generation of actors of the studio, a list that includes Javier Bardem, an Oscar Awards winning actor. She participated in the studio’s 2011 theater play, Comedia Y Sueno (Comedia and Dream, the most beautiful lie).
Beginning in 2013, she was cast in a main role as the protagonist’s Moroccan servant, Jamila, in the Antena 3 series El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between), set in Spain and the Northern Protectorates in Morocco, following the Spanish Civil War. She then played an Indian woman in the movie made for TV based on the life of Spanish Missionary Vicente Ferrer. Filming took place in Anantapur, India. This was followed by an appearance in the TVE series Cuéntame as an important witness in a plot involving corrupt police.
From 2015 to 2019, she played the character named Saray Vargas de Jesús, a Gypsy who initially faced a 5-year prison sentence for Assault in Vis a Vis (Locked Up). The show suffered comparisons to Orange is the New Black before the premiere due to similar prison setting, however, after the initial episodes, was proven that the two shows are different in themes in which Vis a Vis is more of a high octane thriller Drama and Dark Humor as to the Comedy Drama of Orange is the New Black.
Considered a clever and thrilling breakout out hit by critics and fans alike, the show gave Flores her first breakout role in television. For this, she received her first TV Award, a shared Best Female Performer in Fiction Award with the female cast via Ondas Awards, a Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series Award for Spanish Actors Union Awards and several other acting citations.
In 2017, Netflix bought Global streaming rights for the show. With a strong following, the show run for a total of four seasons and an additional spinoff called Vis a Vis: Oasis premiered in 2020. Flores, who played an essential character on the main show had a special guest appearance in the finale to close the series.
While working with Álex Pina in Vis a Vis, the producer called her and asked if she was interested in joining his new show La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). She didn’t go to an audition process. Instead, Pina wrote a role specifically for her as one of the bank robbers on the show nicknamed Nairobi, an expert in counterfeiting and forgery and the team’s Quality Control Manager who’s in charge in printing the money in Parts One and Two and overseeing the melting of gold in Parts Three and Four.
After the series was cancelled after its one-season run, Netflix acquired the show’s Global Streaming rights late 2017, the cast was called back for production and since then Money Heist gained worldwide critical recognition, becoming Netflix’s most viewed non-English series. Due to the massive popularity of the show worldwide, Netflix, ordered additional seasons prompting the producers, writers and cast members to return to the show.
The series received critical acclaim for its sophisticated plot and engaging characters as well as winning several awards including best drama series at the International Emmy Awards. Her role as Nairobi brought her international recognition as well as numerous acting citations. She won a Iris Award for Best Actress as well as several nominations for her work as Nairobi.
Alba Flores Theatre:
In between working in television she also performs in theatre plays. Some of her recent notable works are: The 2016 Spanish Representation La Rosa Tatuada by Tennessee Williams. The Troyanas, based on the tragedy written by Greek playwright Euripides about the Women of Troy after the end of Trojan War. She played Políxena, the daughter of the King of Troy who was sacrificed after the fall of Troy.
It premiered on Mérida International Classical Theatre Festival. Flores was nominated for Best Supporting Actress Award in Spanish Actors Union Awards for her performance. The musical play “Drac Pack” written by her Vis a Vis co-star and friend Najwa Nimri and the Spanish version of La excepción y la regla by German Playwright Bertolt Brecht wherein she was nominated for Best Theatre Actress on Fotogramas de Plata.
Alba Flores Net Worth:
Alba has a net worth of $3 million. She enjoys a high-end lifestyle. Films provide the primary source of income, while television, brand advertisements, and other sources provide supplementary income.
Alba Flores TV Shows and Movies
- 2005- El calentito as Amaya
- 2006- El comisario as Sohara
- 2006- Los mánagers as Chica Casting
- 2008- El síndrome de Ulises as Arabia Salazar
- 2013- Vicente Ferrer as Shamira
- 2013- The Time in Between as Jamila
- 2014- Cuéntame as La Chelo
- 2015- The Memory of Water as Carmen
- 2018- Indetectables as Volcánica
- 2019- Vis a Vis as Saray
- 2020- Ferrotipos
- 2020- Vis a Vis: El Oasis as Saray
- 2017-2021- Money Heist as Nairobi
- 2021- Las cartas perdidas
- 2021- Maricón Perdido
Alba Flores Biography
|Alba Gonzalez Flores
|Date of Birth
|27 October 1986
|35 Years (as on 2022)
|Madrid, Madrid, Spain
|5′ 10″ (1.76 m)
|Lola Flores (grandparent)
Rosario Flores (aunt or uncle)
Elena Furiase (cousin)
|Dwayne Johnson, Pedro Alonso
Quick Facts Alba Flores:
- Lola Flores and Antonio González El Pescalla are her grandparents.
- She was nine years old when her father went away. Her father wrote the song “Alba” especially for her.
- Alba began studying dramatic interpretation and piano playing at the age of thirteen.
- Luna de Miel en Hiroshima (Honeymoon in Hiroshima) (2005) and the Romani rendition of A Midsummer Night’s Dream are two of her most prominent parts (2007).
- She took part in the Enamorados anónimos festival in October 2008.
- After her role as Saray Vargas, a gypsy prisoner in Locked Up, the Spanish actress became a household name in Spain.
- Alba was named PETA’s brand ambassador in May 2020. “Go Veg” is her campaign motto. “It’s for the animals and the environment.”
- She is the tallest of the Money Heist actors. She stands at the height of 176 cm. As a result, she stands taller than both Denver and Rio.
- Daughter of Antonio Flores
- Grandaughter of Lola Flores and Antonio González ‘El Pescaílla’.
- Niece of Lolita Flores and Rosario Flores.
- Good friends with actor Álex Cueva (2007).
- Her father died when she was nine, dedicate her the song “Alba”.
- Cousin of actress Elena Furiase.
- Recorded her father’s song “No puedo enamorarme de ti” for the soundtrack of the movie Road to Santiago (2009).
- Sang her father’s song “No dudaría” in public for first time with her aunts Lolita Flores and Rosario Flores in the concert of Lolita on the day of the 12th anniversary of her father’s death. [May 2007]
- Has joined the cast of the series “El síndrome de Ulises” (2008). She will work with her aunt Lolita Flores [March 2008]
- Participates in the musical Enamorados anónimos. [October 2008]
- Alba began studying theatrical interpretation at the age of thirteen, with additional piano training.