Katie Holmes is an American actress who rose to fame for her role on the Warner Bros. television drama Dawson`s Creek. Holmes essayed the character of Joey Potter on the show for six seasons of it running. She was married to actor Tom Cruise from 2006 to 2012 during which the couple got the nickname “TomKat”. Katie Holmes took modeling classes at the age of 14 and also participated at the International Modeling and Talent Association Competition in New York. Her father wanted her to become a doctor and she had even scored 1310 out of 1600 on her SAT, after which she was accepted at the Columbia University. Holmes attended the summer session at the university.
In 1998, she won the MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance for her role in the thriller Disturbing Behavior. She also earned critical appreciation for her role in the movie Wonder Boys. Some of her other notable movies include The Ice Storm (1997), Pieces of April (2003), Batman Begins (2005), Days and Nights (2013), and Touched with Fire (2015). Her 2017 releases include the movies Logan Lucky and Coup d`Etat. In 2020 she played one of the leading roles in Brahms: The Boy II. Her other releases include Coda (2020) and The Secret: Dare to Dream (2020).
Katie Holmes Biography:
Born two months premature at four pounds, Kate Noelle Holmes made her first appearance on December 18, 1978, in Toledo, Ohio. She is the daughter of Kathleen Ann (Craft), a philanthropist, and Martin Joseph Holmes, Sr., a lawyer. She is of German, Irish, and English ancestry. Her parents have said that her strong-willed personality is probably due to her early birth. Being the youngest in the Holmes clan, completing the family of three other sisters and one brother, Katie was always the baby.
As a teenager, she began attending modeling school. When she was sixteen, her teacher invited her to go to a modeling competition with other girls from her class. She competed in the International Modeling and Talent Association by singing, dancing, and reciting a monologue from To Kill a Mockingbird (1962). By the end of that time in New York, Katie won many awards. But she said she didn’t want to model because it wasn’t challenging enough. So when she was seventeen, Katie went to Los Angeles to audition for movies. Luckily, on her second audition, she was cast in the movie, The Ice Storm (1997), directed by Ang Lee. Katie’s character was Libbets Casey, a rich New Yorker, who is pursued by two of the main characters. It was a small part, but it marked the beginning of her professional acting career.
After the excitement of her first movie, Katie began sending in audition tapes for pilot shows. During that time, she was also starring in her all-girls Catholic high school musical, Damn Yankees, as Lola. After Kevin Williamson received her audition tape for his new show, Dawson’s Creek (1998), the producers wanted her to come to Hollywood right away and read live for them. But because they wanted her to come on the opening night for Damn Yankees, Katie had to tell them she couldn’t make it. Fortunately, the show’s producers wanted her so much for that role, they rescheduled her callback and the result was she got the part as Joey Potter. During her first year with Dawson’s Creek (1998), Katie was able to do two movies, Disturbing Behavior (1998) and Go (1999), and, for the former, she won Best Breakthrough Female Performance at the 1999 MTV Movie Awards.
The following year, she starred next to Michael Douglas in Wonder Boys (2000), playing Hannah Green, a published author and a boarder at her teacher’s (Douglas) house, who has a crush on him, and tries to seduce him. Her first leading role came in 2002, with Abandon (2002). She played a college student named Katie Burke, who is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of her boyfriend who vanished two years prior. With Dawson’s Creek (1998) coming to a close after six years in May of 2003, it was a bittersweet moment for all the cast. Accustomed to being in North Carolina filming ten months out of a year, the cast members now had the opportunity to make more movies.
Katie demonstrated this in October, when she had two new movies, Pieces of April (2003) and The Singing Detective (2003), coming out in that month alone. Pieces of April (2003) is a charming Thanksgiving movie about April (Holmes), the black sheep of her family, who wants to give her family the perfect dinner before her mother passes on. The Singing Detective (2003) is a dark musical where the main character (Robert Downey Jr.) was a writer in a hospital for skin conditions who writes a dark world of seduction and murder in his mind. Katie Holmes played the kind Nurse Mills who tends to his every need. She also gets to lip sync and dance in this movie. In 2004, she starred in the romantic movie First Daughter (2004), in which she played the President’s (Michael Keaton) daughter, Samantha, who wants to go to college without any Secret Service tagging along. In 2005, Holmes co-starred in Batman Begins (2005), where she played Rachel Dawes, a childhood sweetheart and love interest to Batman/Bruce Wayne.
Katie has a daughter with her ex-husband, Tom Cruise.
Katie Holmes Other Projects and Pursuits:
Outside of acting, Holmes has appeared in campaigns and advertisements for brands such as clothing retailer Gap, fashion brand Coach, and Garnier Lumia hair color products. She had also acted as the face of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics in 2013, and clothing brand Ann Taylor’s Spring 2011 collection.
She started her own high fashion clothing line in 2008 along with stylist Jeanne Yang, named Holmes & Yang. They presented their fashion line for the first time at New York Fashion Week in September 2012. Additionally, she is co-owner of Alterna Haircare, and was announced as official ambassador for the brand in January 2013.
Katie Holmes Personal Life:
Holmes previously dated her “Dawson’s Creek” co-star Joshua Jackson, and was engaged to actor Christ Klein from late 2003 to 2005. She began dating actor Tom Cruise in April 2005, and gave birth to their daughter Suri in April 2006. They tied the knot in November 2006 in Bracciano, Italy.
She filed for divorce from Cruise during the summer of 2012, and announced that their then-six-year-old daughter would begin schooling in New York City after previously being home-schooled. After her divorce with Cruise, Holmes left Scientology, which she began studying shortly after she began dating him in 2005, and returned to the Catholic Church; she now attends St. Francis Xavier Church. After splitting with Cruise, she dated actor and musician Jamie Foxx; the couple split in 2019.
Tom Cruise Divorce Settlement:
Tom and Katie were married from 2006 to 2012. Their union produced one daughter, Suri. Tom went into the marriage with a net worth of $250 million, Katie’s net worth was around $10 million. With much more to protect, Tom insisted on having a rock solid prenuptial agreement. The terms of their divorce require Tom to pay Katie $400,000 per year in child support for 12 years (until the year 2024).
That’s $33,000 per month, a total of $4.8 million when it’s all said and done. Tom also must pay for Suri’s medical expenses, education, insurance and any extra curricular activities. Katie has full-custody of Suri and has chosen to not raise their daughter with Scientology. Katie did NOT receive any form of spousal support or lump sum cash payment. It has been reported that Katie opted not to seek a dime in spousal support in order to receive full custody and control of Suri’s upbringing.
Katie Holmes’ daughter:
Suri Cruise is the daughter of Katie Holmes, she is already into her teens. She is 15 years old and will turn sixteen very soon. Holmes is known to be intensely private about her personal life, especially when it comes to her daughter.
When Suri’s not out by herself or with pals, she’s often seen with her mom. The look-alike mother-daughter duo rocked matching cardigans while out separately in the Big Apple on Feb. 9, but there were a number of times last year, when they were seen together while shopping and/or going out for coffee. These memorable moments help to show off their strong bond, which has been very apparent throughout Suri’s life while growing up.
Although Katie tends to be private about Suri and her personal life, she sometimes shares sweet posts about her mini-me on social media. One of the most recent included a birthday tribute for the teen.
Katie’s posts about Suri are rare because she has tried to keep her out of the public eye for as long as possible and touched upon why in an Apr. 2021 interview.
Also Read: Kate Winslet (Actress) Age, Wiki, Spouse, Net Worth, Bio & More
Katie Holmes Net Worth:
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Katie is estimated to be worth $25 million, which is quite impressive considering she hasn’t starred in a blockbuster flick in well over a decade.
For the past couple of years, the 42-year-old has focused her time working behind the scenes, developing scripts, and giving directing a chance.
Aside from All We Had, Katie also directed 2015’s documentary Eternal Princess while also lending her skills behind the camera for the TV mini-series The Kennedys After Camelot.
Many people have speculated over the years whether her divorce from Tom may have jeopardized her acting career considering Katie was one of the most sought-after actresses in the ‘00s, while her recent projects are mostly low-budget movies.
Katie Holmes Boyfriend:
Currently, Holmes is dating Emilio Vitolo, a New York City–based chef who she’s been seen with on multiple PDA-filled outings. Though Katie is usually extremely private about her personal relationships, these two don’t seem to be trying to hide the fact that they’re dating at all, which just goes to show that they may already be serious, even though they don’t seem to have been together for all that long. There’s still a lot that is a total mystery about this relationship … but as far as we can tell, Katie is super happy, and the feeling seems to be mutual.
Emilio Vitolo Jr is a pretty fascinating guy. After all, and as far as we can tell, it seems like he and Katie may actually have some staying power as a couple.
Emilio is a chef at a huge celebrity hot spot for Italian food in New York City, and what makes his work even more fun is that his dad owns the restaurant. He works at Ballato, and in an interview with In Style, he shared that his father opened the restaurant in the ’90s, and since then, everyone in his family has pitched in, often working seven days a week.
Interestingly enough, there’s a bit of an age difference between these two. While Katie is a 41-year-old single mom of Suri Cruise — who is now 14, believe it or not — Emilio is 33, making their age gap a cool eight years.
Katie and Emilio were first spotted together in September 2020, when they were seen dining out in NYC. There’s no word on how they might have met — or how long they’ve been dating — but it seems like this relationship is relatively new. They’re already pretty close, considering how often the paparazzi have caught them spending time together already.
We can’t speak for Katie’s cooking skills, but there’s at least one thing that she and Emilio have in common: acting. According to Emilio’s IMDB page, he’s appeared on shows like Inside Amy Schumer and Royal Pains, so while being a chef might be his day job, it seems that Emilio has some major Hollywood aspirations, too.
As a source close to the new couple told Us Weekly, Katie is “head over heels” for Emilio already, especially because she feels like she can be herself around him and can be as open about their relationship as she wants, since he’s not a celebrity himself.
“Katie is absolutely head over heels in love with Emilio,” the insider said. “She has wanted a stable guy in her life for a while and has found that with him. She is happy she can be free and comfortable with her relationship with Emilio and doesn’t need for it to be private, like her past relationship with Jamie Foxx was.”
Paparazzi photos from earlier in September show Katie and Emilio eating at his father’s restaurant with his father himself, Emilio Sr. So now we know Katie has met the parents — or at least a parent — which just goes to show how serious things might be between these two, even though their relationship still seems pretty new.
Also Read: Mila Kunis (Actress) Wiki, Biography, Age, Net Worth & More
Katie Holmes Biography
|Real Name||Kate Noelle Holmes|
|Date of Birth||18 December 1978|
|Father Name||Martin Joseph Holmes, Sr.|
|Mother Name||Kathleen A. Stothers-Holmes|
|Height||5′ 9″ (1.75 m)|
|School||Notre Dame Academy in Toledo|
|Birth Place||Toledo, Ohio, United States|
|Siblings||Nancy Kay Holmes, Martin Joseph Holmes, Jr., Holly Ann Holmes, Tamera Holmes|
|Martial Status||Married & Divorced|
|Spouse||Tom Cruise (m. 2006–2012)|
|Current City||New York City|
Katie Holmes Quick Facts:
- Her mother, Kathleen Ann (Craft), is a homemaker and a philanthropist. Her father, Martin Joseph Holmes, Sr., is a lawyer, an attorney specializing in divorces.
- Voted as “Babe of the Year 98” (Årets Babe 98) by Expressen Fredag, Sweden.
- Graduated from Notre Dame Academy, an all-girls Roman Catholic school in Toledo, Ohio.
- Chosen as one of Teen People Magazine’s “21 Hottest Stars Under 21”. 
- Deferred attending Columbia University twice, but finally took a single photography class in the summer of 2000.
- Bought a Wilmington, North Carolina townhouse, while filming Dawson’s Creek (1998), and lived there for ten months of the year.
- Turned down the lead role in 40 Days and 40 Nights (2002), due to scheduling conflicts.
- Auditioned for the role of Ellie Christianson in Wicked (1998), but Julia Stiles won the part.
- A small band from Japan have performed a song about her entitled “Katie”.
- Was lined up to have a 3 episode guest spot on Friends (1994) but had to pull out due to scheduling conflicts.
- Likes to run three to four miles a couple of times a week to clear her head.
- The first movie she ever saw was E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).
- Her fantasy role was playing Sydney in Scream 3 (2000).
- The first concert she ever saw was Whitney Houston.
- Her favorite movie is My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997).
- Sang Eponine’s theme song, “On My Own” from Les Miserables, in an episode of Dawson’s Creek (1998).
- Three older sisters: Tamera Jean (B. 1967), Holly Ann (B. 1969), and Nancy Kay (B. 1974).
- One older brother: Martin Joseph, Jr. (B. 1970), who works as a lawyer in Ohio.
- Noisy underground British artist ‘Firexit’ has two songs with references to Katie, one called “K H” (Katie’s initials) and a song called “The reason I can’t have her” featuring samples of Katie singing ‘On my own’ from a Dawson’s Creek (1998) episode.
- Auditioned for the role as Buffy Summers in the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997), but was too young.
- Ranked #35 in Stuff magazine’s “102 Sexiest Women in the World” (2002).
- Was engaged to actor Chris Klein December 2003 – March 2005. They were together for five years.
- Engaged to Tom Cruise as of 17th June 2005.
- Has worked with two Batmans. In Batman Begins (2005), she works with Christian Bale.
- Her previous film was First Daughter (2004), in which her father, the President, is played by Michael Keaton.
- Named #22 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2005 list.
- Holmes’s couch-jumping-worthy engagement ring is a Edwardian-style oval- shaped diamond ring of about 5 carats in a pave setting.
- Ranked as #72 in FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005” special supplement. (2005)
- Her brother Martin Joseph, Jr. works as a lawyer in Ohio.
- Friends with Victoria Beckham.
- Named #90 in FHM magazine’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006” supplement. (2006).
- She and Tom Cruise both wore Armani at their wedding.
- On November 18, 2006, married Tom Cruise at the Odescalchi Castle in Lake Bracciano, Italy in front of family and friends. Lots of celebrity guests included Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, Brooke Shields and Chris Henchy, Richard Gere, Victoria Beckham and David Beckham, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, and Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg, John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Jenna Elfman and Bodhi Elfman and Leah Remini.
- Ex-stepmother of Tom Cruise’s adopted children: Isabella and Connor Cruise.
- Best Man at her wedding to Tom Cruise was David Miscavige.
- Mentioned in the song, “High School Never Ends”, by Bowling for Soup.
- Participated in and finished the New York Marathon in 2007.
- Almost cast opposite Patrick Wilson (her co-star on Broadway’s “All My Sons”), in the film version of The Phantom of the Opera (2004) as Christine Daaé, but was considered too old to play the part.
- Katie’s brother-in-law Joseph Jeffrey Fretti, the husband of Holmes’ eldest sister Tamara Holmes, was found dead on 12 April 2009 in his mother Shirley’s home in Sarasota, Florida. He was 48.
- Auditioned for the role of Carla Albanese in Nine (2009), but Penélope Cruz was given the part instead.
- Had a girlhood crush on Tom Cruise, her future husband, saying once in a magazine interview, “I think every little girl dreams of her wedding. I used to think I was going to marry Tom Cruise”.
- Gave birth to her 1st child at age 27, a daughter named Suri Cruise on April 18, 2006. Child’s father is her boyfriend (now ex-husband), Tom Cruise.
(June 28, 2012) Filed for divorce from her husband of 5 years Tom Cruise.
- Her father is of three quarters German and one quarter Irish descent; the family surname, originally “Holm”, was changed to “Holmes” by her German immigrant ancestors. Her mother has Irish and English ancestry.
- Is back in Wilmington, North Carolina filming the 6th (and probably final) season of Dawson’s Creek (1998). [October 2002]
- Accepted marriage proposal from Tom Cruise at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. [June 2005]
- Filming Batman Begins (2005) in London, England. [April 2004]
- Filming the movie Pieces of April (2003) with Oliver Platt. [April 2002]
Starring on Broadway’s “All My Sons” opposite John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest and Patrick Wilson. [September 2008]
- Was in a relationship with Joshua Jackson during the series of Dawson’s Creek (1998) and remained close friends after the show ended.
- Received $ 9.8 million including child support in her divorce settlement from Tom Cruise.
- Is the mother of ex-husband Tom Cruise’s only biological child, daughter Suri Cruise.
- Is the youngest of 5 siblings and the youngest paternal grandchild.
- She wears a size 11 shoe.
- Contrary to popular belief, her full name is not Katherine or Kathleen.
- Is often ridiculed and criticized for what Is considered a terrible career choice on her part, of turning down the chance to reprise her role of Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight (2008), an Academy Award winning film and one of the highest grossing films of all time, to instead do the critical and financial failure Mad Money (2008).
Coldplay’s bassist, Guy Berryman and Holmes were connected in the early 2000’s.
- In 2013,hosted a private fashion magazine editors party without shoes on and invited the assembled guests to take off their shoes if they wished.
Also Read: Faria Abdullah (Actress) Wiki, Age, Height, Movies, Bio, Family