Shailene Woodley is an American actress and environmental activist. Born in San Bernardino, California, Woodley was raised in Simi Valley, and started modeling at the age of four and began acting professionally in minor television roles. She starred in ABC’s The Secret Life of the American Teenager from 2008 to 2013 before appearing opposite George Clooney in The Descendants in 2011. Woodley went on to star in The Fault in Our Stars in 2014 and three Divergent films from 2014 to 2016. Shailene Woodley and Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers were engaged before they split in 2022.
Actress and activist Shailene Woodley was born in Simi Valley, California, to Lori (Victor), a middle school counselor, and Lonnie Woodley, a school principal. She has one brother, Tanner. She was educated at Simi Valley High School in California. When Woodley was four years old she began commercial modeling. Acting roles followed, and she made her screen debut in 1999’s Replacing Dad (1999). More parts followed in The District (2000), The O.C. (2003) and Crossing Jordan (2001),amongst others. When Woodley was 15, she was diagnosed with Idiopathic Scoliosis and wore a chest-to-hips plastic brace for two years, which proved a successful treatment.
In 2008 Woodley was cast in the lead role of Amy Juergens in The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008) and in 2011 she had her big screen breakthrough when she appeared in Alexander Payne’s The Descendants (2011), opposite George Clooney. Her performance in the role of Alexandra King brought critical acclaim and recognition by the movie industry. She won an Independent Spirit Award and the 2012 MTV Movie Awards Breakthrough Performance Award, as well as a Golden Globe nomination. She gained more prominence for portraying Tris from the Divergent film trilogy based on the book series. She portrayed Mary Jane Watson in deleted scenes of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. She had roles in The Fault in Our Stars, The Mauritanian, White Bird in a Blizzard, Big Little Lies, Adrift and The Fallout. She is engaged to Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
Shailene Woodley Early Life:
Shailene Woodley was born in San Bernardino city, California, United States, on 15 November 1991. She is the daughter of Lori (Nee Victor, mother) & Lonnie Woodley (father), and also a younger brother Tanner Woodley. Shailene spent her childhood days in Semi Valley (Ventura country) California, United States.
She started her career by doing minor roles in televisions series/films since 1999. Her starting tv-series/films are Replacing Dad (1999), The District (2001- 2003), Crossing Jordan (2001-2004), and many others including her main role as Juergens in the Secret Life Of American Teenager (2008 -2013), for which she was nominated for various awards and gained accolades.
Shailene Woodley starts her film debut from the movie The Descendants (2011) directed by Alexander Payne.
Along with her acting career, she is also an environmental activist & climate advocate. Shailene has been honored with many awards and gained accolades for her work as an environmental activist. She has been received Environment Industry Environmental Leadership Award for her and her mother’s co-founded non-profit organization “All it Takes” on the occasion of the 20th Anniversary Global Green Environment Awards (29 September 2016). In October 2016 she has been received the Female EMA Futures Award by Environmental Media Association (EMA).
If we talk about her personal life then, for 2021 Shailene Woodey is still unmarried. The news about Shailene Woodley’s boyfriend is that in 2021 she is engaged with NFL Quarterback player Aaron Rodgers since 2020. In past years Shailene has also been in a relationship with Rugby Union’s Player Ben Volavola (An Australian-Fijian player) from 2018 to 2020.
Shailene Woodley Net Worth:
With her long career and notable leading roles Shailene Woodley has managed to accumulate a comfortable net worth of $12 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth.
Her big break came when she signed a six-year contract to star in “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” which ran from 2008 to 2013. It was one of ABC Family’s most-watched shows which is about Amy Juergens a 15-year-old girl, played by Woodley, who learns she is pregnant and the effect it has on her and the people around her.
In 2014, she took the starring role in the movie “Divergent,” a film adaptation of the first title in the book trilogy. For her performance in the first movie she earned between $250,000 and $500,000 according to The Hollywood Reporter. She apprised the role of Tris again for the other two movies in the trilogy which in total grossed $765 million worldwide.
For her role in “Big Little Lies” she earned $1.7 million for seven episodes working out to roughly $242,000 per episode. For the second season HBO considerable up to amount she and the rest of the cast were paid. In Woodley’s case more than double to $3.5 million.
Also Read: Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) Daughter, Bio, Net Worth, Wife & More
Aaron Rodgers and Shailene Woodley Break Up:
A source close to Rodgers confirms that the NFL star, 38, and the actress, 30, have split, just over one year after he made the surprise announcement that they were engaged.
News of their breakup comes after Rodgers received backlash concerning his vaccination status in November 2021 when it was made public that he tested positive for the coronavirus. In August of last year, he told the media that he was “immunized” when he was asked about whether or not he had received the COVID-19 vaccine amid rising NFL protocols for the 2021 season. However, during an appearance on the Pat McAfee Show on Nov. 5, Rodgers confirmed that he was unvaccinated. That same month, Woodley slammed “disparaging” claims about Rodgers.
In late February 2021, Woodley confirmed their engagement during an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, jokingly telling the late-night host that she never thought she’d grow up to marry someone who “throws balls for a living.”
Then, in March of last year, the Green Bay Packers quarterback raved about his happiness with Woodley. “I’m recently engaged, so been enjoying that part of my life,” he said at the time. “Obviously that’s the best thing that’s happened to me in the last year.”
In late March, they were seen for the first time since news of their engagement broke, going for a dinner outing with friends in Arkansas. Shortly after, Rodgers and Woodley were spotted on their most PDA-packed outing as a couple at Walt Disney World.
Shailene Woodley Biography:
|Birth name||Shailene Diann Woodley|
|Nickname||Shailene Diann Woodley, Shai, Shey|
|Real Name (Globally Know)||Shailene Woodley|
|Profession||Actress & also an environmental activist|
|Birthday/Date of Birth||15 November 1991|
|Birthplace||San Bernardino city, California, United States|
|Age in 2021||29 Years 8 Months 7 Day – While writing this post on 22 July 2021.|
|Mother Name||Lori (Nee Victor) – (A school counselor) Info Source- Wikipedia|
|Father Name||Lonnie Woodley (A school principal) Info Source- Wikipedia|
|Grandfather Name (paternal)||Not Known|
|Sisters Name||Shailene Woodley has no sisters.|
|Brothers Name||Tanner Woodley (Younger brother)|
|Mother Tongue||English Language|
|An American Girl Adventure (2005)||Moola (2007)||The Descendants (2011)|
|The Spectacular Now (2013)||White Bird in a Blizzard (2014)||Divergent (2014)|
|The Fault in our Stars (2014)||9 Kisses (2014)||Snowden (2016)|
|Adrift (2018)||Endings, Beginnings (2019)||The Last Letter from Your Lover (TBA)|
- Replacing Dad (1999)
- The District (2001-2003)
- Without a Trace (2003)
- Everybody Loves Raymond (2004)
- Jack & Bobby (2004-2005)
- My Name is Earl (2006)
- Close to Home (2007)
- Cold Case (2007)
- Big Little Lies (2017-2019)
- 2019Screen Actors Guild Awards–Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominated
- 2015Critics’ Choice Movie Awards–Best Actress in an Action Movie: Nominated
- 2015People’s Choice Awards–Favorite Movie Duo: Winner
- 2014Independent Spirit Awards–Best Female Lead: Nominated
- 2013Sundance Film Festival–U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Acting: Winner
- 2012Golden Globe–Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominated
- 2012Independent Spirit Awards–Best Supporting Female: Winner
- 2012Critics’ Choice Movie Awards–Best Supporting Actress: Nominated
- 2012Critics’ Choice Movie Awards–Best Young Actor/Actress: Nominated
- 2011Screen Actors Guild Awards–Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominated
- 2011National Board of Review–Best Supporting Actress: Winner
- 2011National Society of Film Critics–Best Supporting Actress: Nominated
- 2011Detroit Film Critics Society–Breakthrough Performance: Nominated
Read Also : Kelly Preston (Actress) Wiki, Death, Biography, Movies & More
Shailene Woodley Quick Facts:
- Was considered one of the “55 Faces of the Future” by Nylon Magazine’s Young Hollywood Issue.
- She revealed on Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (2003) that she is a huge fan of the young YouTube sensation Greyson Chance.
- As a teenager she was diagnosed with scoliosis. She was put in a chest-to-hips plastic brace to straighten her spine.
- Her parents gave her three rules when she fell into the acting business: she had to stay the person she was, have fun, and do well in school.
- In order to graduate with her high school class while starring on the hit ABC Family teenage soap opera The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008), her principal sent a teacher to her house once a week to give her school work which she would do, in-between takes, on set. Then, she was able to graduate with her class on time.
- Her parents divorced when she was fifteen years old.
- Was considered for the role of Katniss Everdeen in the 2012 film adaption of the book, The Hunger Games (2012), but Jennifer Lawrence was cast instead.
Her breakthrough role was when she starred, alongside George Clooney, as his troubled teenage daughter Alexandra King in the 2011 film adaption of the novel, The Descendants (2011).
- She is best friends with her The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008) co-star, Megan Park.
- Auditioned for the role of Cosette in the 2012 film adaption of the musical, Les Misérables (2012), but was beaten out by Amanda Seyfried.
- Dyed her hair red for her role of Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014).
- Was originally cast as Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), but all her scenes were deleted from the final cut. She worked on the movie set for three days and shot about four short scenes.
- Shailene’s father is of British Isles descent. Shailene’s mother is of Creole (African, French, Spanish, German, English, Swiss) ancestry.
She auditioned for the role of “Lucy” in I Am Sam (2001), but lost out to Dakota Fanning.
- Admires actresses Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard, and Mélanie Laurent.
- Her favorite movies are Dirty Dancing (1987), Moulin Rouge! (2001), Rent (2005), and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).
Turned down the role of Casey Newton in Tomorrowland: A World Beyond (2015). Britt Robertson was later cast.
- A fan of Anaïs Nin. When asked if she could track down her favorite author and ask one burning question, the way Hazel in The Fault in Our Stars (2014) does, she responded with: “Anaïs Nin! Will you marry me?”.
- Considers “1984” by George Orwell and “Henry and June” by Anaïs Nin as the books that changed her life.
- Turned down the role of Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015). The role eventually went to Dakota Johnson.
- Beauty and the Beast (1991) was the first movie that she saw.
- Participated in the protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota. Pleaded not guilty to criminal trespassing and engaging in a riot. [October10, 2016].
- Her first name comes from the Irish name Shay plus the popular suffix lene / lyn / leen. This is an Irish Gaelic name, an anglicized form of “Séaghdha”, meaning “stately”, “majestic”, “courteous”, “admirable” or “hawk-like”. Séaghdha derives from the surname “Ó Séaghdha”, the name of a family of Corca Dhuibhne in West Kerry who until about the period of the Anglo-Norman invasion were lords of Ui Rathach, now the barony of Iveragh.
- In recent years has distanced herself from the soap The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008) which brought her an early breakthrough, stating that she did not agree with the show’s morals but was unable to leave because of her contract. She told Flaunt Magazine, “Towards the end, morally, the things that we were preaching on that show weren’t really aligned with my own integrity. So that was a bit hard to show up to work every day knowing that we were going to project all of these themes to thousands – millions – of young adults across the country, when in fact they weren’t what I would like to be sending out.”.
- Her surname Woodley comes from an ancient and interesting surname, of Anglo-Saxon origin. It is a locational name from Woodleigh in Devonshire, or Woodley in Berkshire, deriving from the Olde English, pre-7th Century “wudu”, meaning wood plus “leah”, pasture, clearing; hence “glade in a wood”. The surname dates back to the early 11th century. Its early recordings include Osbert de Wudeleg (1198) in the Pipe Rolls of Devonshire, and Walter de Wodeleye (1332) in the Subsidy Rolls of Worcestershire.
She was offered the title role in Carrie (2013) but turned it down. The part eventually went to Chloë Grace Moretz.
- She was originally cast as Ruby Roundhouse/Martha in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017), but had to drop out of the film due to scheduling conflicts with Big Little Lies (2017). So Karen Gillan was cast instead.
- Hasn’t had a television since she moved out of her parents’ home at age 18, as she much prefers to read a good book.
- From a young age has vowed that if she ever lost her passion for acting or became uncomfortable with the idea of celebrity, she would quit. At least twice she has nearly walked away from her acting carer, until she fell in love with scripts that wooed her back. Those scripts were for The Spectacular Now (2013) and Big Little Lies (2017).
- Is a Socialist.
- She supported Bernie Sanders in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election.
Maternal granddaughter of Stephen David Victor (b. California) (son of Harold J. Victor (b. Louisiana) and wife Bessie M. Harrold (b. California); according to most Censuses, both Harold J. Victor and wife Bessie M. Harrold were black and/or biracial, as Censuses list them as black, and one Census lists them as mulatto; paternal grandson of an unknown father by Leila … and maternal grandson of William John Harrold (b. Texas) and wife Bessie Hutchins (b. Texas)) and wife Diane Lynn Fauria (b. California) (daughter of Vernon Louis Fauria (b. Louisiana, of Creole descent, both his parents of mixed black and white ancestry) and wife Marguerite Lois Davis, of Caucasian descent, paternal granddaughter of Joseph Mathews or Matthews Fauria, of African, Spanish, French and German descent (son of Victor Nicholas Fauria and wife Agnes Cora Zipple), and wife Aline Louise Martinez, of Spanish, African and possibly French descent, and maternal granddaughter of Norman Edward Davis, of British Isles or English ancestry, and wife Evangeline or Evangelia Perrengere or Berengere Perrin or Perrine (b. Switzerland, of Swiss-German descent, daughter of Lewis O. Perrin and wife Berthe C. Hague)).
Daughter of Lonnie Woodley, school principal, and wife Lori Victor, school counselor, has a younger brother.
- Paternal granddaughter of Virgil James Woodley (b. Oklahoma) (son of James F. Woodley and wife Velma L. Howard) and wife Dovie Oralee Sims (b. Texas, of English ancestry) (daughter of Omer Epsy Sims and wife Eva Ellen Payne, paternal granddaughter of Denton Otto Sims and wife Clara Florence Allen and maternal granddaughter of Hiram Walker Payne and wife Verdenia Maude Ellis).
- Has a Labrador Retriever named Spinee.
- 2021-2021 was engaged to football player Aaron Rodgers.
- Born at 9:06pm-PST.
- Began her career as a child model, then was signed by an agent and started acting at age 5
- Like Amy Juergens, her character on The Secret Life of the American Teenager, her parents got divorced when she was a freshman in high school
- Was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 15 and had to wear a brace on her back for almost 18 months (she took the brace off while working)
- Was named as one of Entertainment Weekly’s 10 Breakout Stars of 2008
- Describes herself as more outgoing than her Secret Life character
- Says she and her family enjoy camping
- Her nickname is Shai
Also Read: Talulah Riley (Actress) Net Worth, Wiki, Age, Biography & More