Shamna Kkasim also known by the stage name Poorna, is an Indian actress, professional dancer and model. She made her acting debut in the 2004 Malayalam film Manju Poloru Penkutty. She has acted in more than 60 films. Shamna Kkasim rose to prominence when she played the titular role in the Telugu suspense thriller Sri Mahalakshmi (2007). Since then, Shamna has appeared in leading and supporting roles in several Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu movies, notable among which are Ali Bhai (2007), Seema Tapakai (2011), Avunu (2012), Nuvvala Nenila (2014), Raju Gari Gadhi (2015), Avanthika (2017) and Sathuranga Vettai 2 (2017). Her next releases include Savarakathi and Silly Fellows and Suvarna Sundari.
Shamna Kasim was born in Kannur, Kerala as the youngest of five children to a local fishing worker and a housewife. She did her schooling at Ursuline Senior Secondary School, Kannur and at St. Teresa’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Kannur. She completed her Bachelor of Arts in English by correspondence. She resides in Kochi, Kerala. She is a dancer in stage shows. She mentioned in an interview with John Brittas that her godfather in Malayalam movies at early stages of her career was Mohanlal.
In the mid-2010s, Kasim appeared in a series of films where she portrayed a ghost, with The Hindu labelling her as “the ghost queen of Telugu films”. She won critical acclaim for her roles in Avunu (2012) and the sequel Avunu 2 (2015), which led to film makers wanting to cast her in horror films. She turned down several similar scripts, before winning further acclaim for her role as a ghost in Raju Gari Gadhi (2015), which became a surprise hit at the box office. She tonsured her head for her role in the movie Kodiveeran (2017) but the movie did not receive a good response from the audience.
Shamna Kkasim Biography
|Real Name||Shamna Kurikkal Kudiyil|
|Nickname||Purnaa, the ghost queen of Telugu films|
|Date of Birth||23 May 1989|
|Mother Name||Ramla Beevi|
|Height||5′ 3″ (1.6 m)|
|Educational Qualification||B. A. (English)|
|School||Ursuline Senior Secondary School|
|Hobbies||Watching TV, Traveling, Acting|
|Siblings||Shaina Kasim, Sheriffa Kasim, Arifa Kasim, Shanavas Kasim|
|Debut Movie||Manju Poloru Penkutty (2004) Malyalam, Srimahalakshmi (2007) Tollywood|
|Current City||Thayyil, Kannur, Kerala, India|
Shamna Kkasim Images:
Shamna Kkasim Quick Facts:
- In June 2020, police arrested members of a gang on a complaint lodged by Kasim’s mother that they blackmailed her daughter. Police revealed that the gang locked film actresses in hotel rooms and forced them to accompany as escorts for transporting black money.
- Poorna aka Shamna Kasim was born on tuesday, 23rd May 1989 to Kassim and Ramla Beevi. She was born as the youngest of five children.
- She has four siblings, a brother named Shanavas and three sisters named Sheriffa, Arifa, and Shaina respectively.
- Poorna did her schooling at Ursuline senior secondary school and at St. Teresa’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Kannur, Kerala, India. She started her career as classical dancer and participated in the reality based dance competition “Super Dance” on Amrita TV.
- In 2004, she made her debut with Malayalam film “Manju Poloru Penkutty”. With “Sri Mahalakshmi” she made her debut in Telugu Film Industry. Subsequently, she acted in several films like College Kumaran, Josh, and 9 KK Road in Tamil, Kannada, and Malayalam languages. In 2012, with Telugu movie “Avunu” she gained fame and also won critical acclaim, which led to movie makers wanting to cast her in horror films.
- Currently, she is doing as Judge in “Dhee” a dance reality show in ETV.